Final Reflection

1. Out of the six learning outcomes for the course EDCI 339, I observed great personal growth as a learner in regard to developing an awareness of human-centred learning in online and open learning contexts. As a chemistry major, learning to me was all about strict memorization which resulted in me being very one-dimensional regarding my learning. However, upon conversing with my groups about different learning theories, primarily debating how behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism interconnect, concepts explained in 25 years of Ed tech, and completing assignment 3 which was associated with UDL, I realized that learning is centered around me rather than it being provided to like an object. The greatest aspect that aided in my growth was reflecting on my experiences and connecting them with my learning. By doing so, I was able to understand what I am learning and retain the information with ease. An example of this would be from my most recent blog:  

2. I strongly prefer distributed learning. It allows me to be flexible with my schedule, as being enrolled in online courses gives me the freedom to do the work on my own pace. Furthermore, not having to be physically present in a classroom means I can do other activities such as work during the times I would be in school/class. Furhtemrore, since COVID, most professors are recording their lectures to make it easy for students to they can watch the recording multiple times to succeed in the learning. THis has been extremely helpful because it provides you the opportunity to improve your notes and studying quality. Lastly, I strongly believe that the pandemic has highlighted the importance, need, and advantages of distributed learning. Thus, I am confident that post covid, distributed learning would be practiced a lot more than it did in pre-covid times. 

1. My groupmates have said repeated that I am too big of a fan of Online Learning Theories, and honestly speaking, I really am! Learning about these theories allowed me to reflect on what type of learner I am. I realized that I prefer learning by using cognitivism theory (Bates, 2014). While writing my reflection blogs, I realized that I strongly prefer learning by reflecting on my experiences because it makes learning more fun, and aids in retaining the information. Furthermore, by connecting my learning with my experiences, I feel enthusiastic and motivated regarding what I am learning. An evidence of this comes to mind from my last week’s polymer chemistry lecture. My professor was explaining the impact of sheer force on polymers (long chain molecules) and how paint is a polymer. As soon as he stated that, my mind immediately thought of me painting my house’s side wall 2 years ago with my dad. I remember him telling me to put the paint in the tray and roll the paint roller in the tray repeatedly and then paint. This memory instantly connected with my professor’s statement regarding sheer force and polymers, which allowed me to make the connection that rolling the paint roller in the paint makes sheer force that allows the paint to become less viscous so that it can then be used effectively. This was direct application of cognitivism theory and retained the information regarding sheer force and polymers very well as that when I had to answer about this question on midterm #2, I got the answer correct. If I had never known about cognitivism theory, I wouldn’t have been able to make the reflections that I have with my learning. 

Bates, T.(2014). Learning Theories and Online Learning. [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.tonybates.ca/2014/07/29/learning-theories-and-online-learning/